EXTRACT FROM CPSU CC POLITBURO PROTOCOL #182, ON ANDROPOV'S DISCUSSIONS WITH THE LEADERS OF AFGHANISTANCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationCPSU CC Politburo Decisions on Afghanistan regarding the improvement of infrastructure including construction of the Amu Darya bridge and planning a railroad connection in Afghanistan"Extract from CPSU CC Politburo Protocol #182, On Andropov's discussions with the leaders of Afghanistan" February 07, 1980, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, APRF, f. 3, op. 82, d. 175, ll. 1-2 http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/111588
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
ORIGINAL SCAN PDF
COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE SOVIET UNION, CENTRAL COMMITTEE
#Pl 82/S h.
To: Comrades Brezhnev, Andropov, Gromyko, Suslov, Ustinov, Ponomarev, Rashidov--full text; Baibakov, Sosnov, Skachkov--#3, 4 ; Pavlovski--#5.
Excerpt from Protocol #182 of the Politburo CC CPSU session of 7 February 1980
On Comrade Y.V. Andropov's discussions with the leaders of Afghanistan concerning some aspects of Soviet-Afghani cooperation.
1. To approve the discussions that Member of the Politburo CC CPSU, Chairman of the KGB USSR Comrade Y.V. Andropov held with the leaders of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan on some aspects of Soviet-Afghan cooperation.
2. To ask the International Department of the Central Committee of the CPSU to submit proposals on the issues of party cooperation mentioned in the discussions with Comrade B. Karmal and with other Afghani leaders, and also relating to the issues raised by the head of the group of the party advisers of the CC CPSU, Comrade L.I. Grekov, to the Central Committee of the CPSU.
3. To entrust the State Committee on Economic Cooperation (SCEC) and the Ministry of Transport Construction to examine the proposals of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Uzbekistan (Comrade Rashidov) on speeding up the construction work on the joint bridge crossing on the Amu Darya river in the region of Termez-Hairaton, and to take necessary measures to increase the speed of work of the Soviet construction organizations. Also, to submit in the regular order proposals on construction of the structure on the Afghan bank (a transfer base) on the conditions of the general contract.
4. To entrust the Gosplan of the USSR and the SCEC with participation of relevant ministries and bureaus to examine the considerations presented by the Soviet Embassy in Kabul on speeding up the construction of the oil-processing plant, power stations and electric power lines according to the "Plan of the electricity supply to the Northern regions of Afghanistan," of the mining and processing group of enterprises on the copper deposits site in Aynak, and of the reconstruction of the housing construction groups of enterprises in Kabul.
5. The Ministry of Transportation should speed up the consideration of the proposals of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Uzbekistan (Comrade Rashidov) on setting up an independent branch of the Central Asian Railroad with the terminal in Termez.
6. To entrust the Commission of the Politburo CC CPSU on Afghanistan to think out the question of the new relations between the Soviet Union and Afghanistan under the treaty, having in mind the realization of this idea at corresponding time, and taking into account the further development of the situation in Afghanistan and around it.
Secretary of the CC