NOTE BY LECH WALESA REGARDING FURTHER PROCEDURE OF TALKSCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationNote by Lech Walesa regarding further procedure of talks including questions of size of groups and representation for the Roundtable talks as well as a proposal for an agenda for the working groups"Note by Lech Walesa Regarding Further Procedure of Talks" 1989, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, Personal papers of Andrzej Stelmachowski. Translated for CWIHP by Jan Chowaniec. http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/113089
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
Note by Lech Walesa Regarding Further Procedure of Talks, undated, ca. 1988-1989
The organization of the “Roundtable” talks has not been, as yet, precisely defined. Preliminary arrangements are needed very quickly. In particular, I am expecting a response to the following questions:
1) How large a team is going to participate in the general debates of the Roundtable?
2) What persons and representatives of what organiza-tions have been invited or are going to be invited?
3) What is the preliminary estimate of the duration of the Roundtable (what is meant here is the time estimate of the “first session,” ending with decisions)?
4) How large are the working groups going to be? From my part I am already proposing to define the agenda for the working groups, namely (in brackets I give the names of my plenipotentiaries for the particular teams)
1/ Union pluralism (T. Mazowiecki)
2/ Economic questions (A. Wielowieyski)
3/ Social pluralism (K. Szaniawski)
4/ Political reform (B. Geremek)
5/ Law and the judicial system (J. Olszewski)
6/ Agriculture and agricultural union (A. Stelmachowski)
7/ Mining questions (A. Pietrzyk).
Following these preliminary explanations it will be possible to set the date of the first meeting.
[signed by Lech Walesa]
1. Jan Olszewski, from 1980 an advisor to NSZZ “Solidarity” and the Episcopate of Poland, defense counsel in court trials of “Solidarity” activists, member of KO appointed by the Chairman of NSZZ “Solidarity.”
2. Alojzy Pietrzyk, an activist of NSZZ “Solidarity” from Upper Silesia, one of the strike leaders from 1988