ICHIRO OGIMURA AND YOUNG C. KIM'S EFFORTS TO FACILITATE THE 1988 OLYMPIC GAMESCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationLetters from Ichiro Ogimura to IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch and DPRK NOC President Kum Yu Sun on Ogimura and Young C. Kim's efforts to facilitate the 1988 Olympic Games."Ichiro Ogimura and Young C. Kim's Efforts to Facilitate the 1988 Olympic Games," October 08, 1985, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, IOC Archives, SEOUL’ 88, POLITICAL MATTERS, DE 1982 A MAI 86. Obtained for NKIDP by Sergey Radchenko. http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/113480
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
ENGLISH (TRANSCRIPTION) HTML
ATTENTION: MR A SAMARANCH
PRESIDENT OF IOC, ROOM 310
Dear Mr. Samaranch,
Yesterday 6th I met Mr Young C. Kim, professor of George Washington Univ, USA South Korean born US citizen, worked for US occupation forces in Japan after 2nd war, now working for Schultz, Secretary of State for USA, to advice [sic] us policy concerning North East Asian matters.
Mr. Y.C. Kim visited Pyong Yang 5 times in 86’ and 87’, met Politobureau people, and succeeded to relaye [sic] USA-DPRK relation a little bit as you know.
He visited Seoul recently, met newly elected Mr Ro Taewoo, and have confidence Mr Ro wish to welcome DPRK to participate Seoul Olympic, and knows that Mr Ro prepared to make dramatic statement after his appointment of new president Feb 25 188, then he plans USA gov also give, what he call “ultra c” action towards DPR Korea including us-DPR Korea dialogue etc.
Thus we agree Ogimura visit Pyong Yang on 11th Jan 1988. Mr Abe liberal party general director was given the report.
I have tlxed to Pyong Yang as other paper but not yet confirmed if they are interested to welcome me or not.
Best rgds and wish you a successful new year.
President of ITTF
===== CONVERSATION MODE START =====
TLX TD 8995472 KP NORTH KOREA
OGIMURA J26413 JAN/07/08 OUR TLX NO. 1500 MN/io
ATTN: MR KIM YUSUN
PRESIDENT OF DPR KOREA OLYMPIC COMMITTEE
Dear Mr. Kim Yusun,
Yesterday evening, 6th Jan. 1988, I met Professor Young C. Kim of The George Washington University USA, in Tokyo, for 2 hours. He returned Washington University by 7th morning flight. As you know, Prof Kim came to Pyong Yang 86 and 87. Met your Polito Bureau people. He met Mr Ro Taewoo (next President elected) in Seoul several days ago. He will report our discussions to US Secretary of State Mr Shults, today or tomorrow.
After discussions with him, I have following sinario [sic] to discuss with you at my visit to Pyong Yang on 11th Jan 1988 (Monday) by CA 903. I am visiting your Embassy immediately after my arrival at Beijing on Sunday of 10th for applying 10th afternoon around 14:30 entry document. Am leaving by JS 151 on 13th Jan (Wed) to Beijing.
1. Before 17th of Jan, you make it clear that “DPRK still wish to host 24th Olympic Games, but still needs negotiations and following agreement with IOC and South Korean side.”
2. In the meantime, US government and Jpnese govt will give strong advices to Mr Ro, for a dramatic change of attitude to North-South relations including Olympic Games.
3. Mr Ro will make dramatic statement on his new policy towards North-South talks including 24th Olympiad, immediately after 25th February when he became President.
4. US Government will immediately welcome the statement of Mr Ro. And US gov themselves will announce their drastic change of attitude towards DPR Korea including to start direct dialogue between DPR Korea and USA.
5. Prof. Young C. Kim visit Pyong Yang in mid March to finalize above sinario [sic] so that cohosting of 24th Olympiad will be technically in time for the events which will be held in DPR Korea.
6. I will in the meantime meet Mr Samaranch at Lausanne on 19th Jan. and talk how many more sports shall be played at Pyong Yang several events as pre Olympic Games demonstration.
7. Mr Samaranch himself visit both South and North Korea end March/beg April and himself finalize all conditions re cohosting.
8. By that period DPR Korea organize in Pyong Yang several events as pre Olympic Game demonstrations.
Kindly inform your Embassy in Beijing that Ogimura will appear in the afternoon of Sunday 10th Jan for entry visa.
Looking forward for your tlx confiermation [sic] for my visit, and seeing you at Pyong Yang.
Ichiro Ogimura, ITTF President
07 1318 007.4
===== CONVERSATION MODE END =====