LETTER FROM NETO TO CUBAN LEADERSHIP, DAR-ES-SALAAMCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationLetter from Neto to Cuban leadership requesting help in setting up schools and providing military training, weapons and expertise"Letter from Neto to Cuban leadership, Dar-es-Salaam," January 26, 1975, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, Neto, "Necesidades urgentes. Lista dirigida al: Comité Central del Partido Comunista de Cuba," 26 January 1975, Anexo no. 3, pp. 22-23, in "Informe sobre la visita realizada por el mayor Rodobaldo Díaz Padraga a Angola en los días del 16.11.75 (Frente sur)," n.d., Centro de Información de la Defensa de las Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias, Havana https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/112137
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
Given the situation on the ground of our movement and our country, and taking into account the results of the exploratory trip of the official Cuban delegation [Cadelo and Pina], we are sending you a list of the urgent needs of our organization. We are confident that you will give it immediate consideration.
1. The establishment, organization, and maintenance of a military school for cadres. We urgently need to create a company of security personnel, and we need to prepare the members of our military staff.
2. We need to rent a ship to transport the war material that we have in Dar-es-Salaam to Angola. The delivery in Angola, if this were a Cuban ship, could take place outside of the territorial waters.
3. Weapons and means of transportation for the Brigada de Intervención that we are planning to organize, as well as light weapons for some infantry battalions.
4. Transmitters and receivers to solve the problem of communication among widely dispersed military units.
5. Uniforms and military equipment for 10,000 men.
6. Two pilots and one flight mechanic.
7. Assistance in training trade union leaders.
8. Cooperation in the organization of schools for the teaching of Marxism (to solve the problems of the party).
9. Publications dealing with political and military subjects, especially instruction manuals.
10. Financial assistance in this phase of establishing and organizing ourselves.
We also urge that the Communist Party of Cuba use its influence with other countries that are its friends and allies, especially from the Socialist camp, so that they grant useful and timely aid to our movement, which is the only guarantee of a democratic and progressive Angola in the future.
Comrades, accept our revolutionary greetings and convey the good wishes of the combatants of the MPLA and of the new Angola to Prime Minister Fidel Castro.