PROPOSALS ON THE ORDER OF COMPOSING DOCUMENTS ON QUESTIONS OF MILITARY TECHNICAL COOPERATION WITH FOREIGN COUNTRIES
This document was made possible with support from the Carnegie CorporationCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationThis document outlines the correct workflow for creating and distributing various documents on military technical cooperation with foreign countries."Proposals on the Order of Composing Documents on Questions of Military Technical Cooperation with Foreign Countries," August 28, 1987, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, Vitalii Leonidovich Kataev Papers, Box 12-30, 'Military-Technical Cooperation with Foreign Countries, General,' Hoover Institution Archives . https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/134397
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
[Handwritten: “Agreement 28.08.87 No. 24342”]
On the order of composing documents on questions of military technical cooperation with foreign countries
1. Resolution No. 878-210 by the CPSU Central Committee and the USSR Council of Ministers from July 30, 1987 calls for the following:
“4. To establish that proposals on questions of implementing the USSR’s military technical cooperation with foreign countries prepared by the USSR State Committee on Foreign Economic Connections and by the USSR Ministry of Defense together with the USSR Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Gosplan, and other relevant ministries and agencies and are presented to the Council of Ministers State Commission on Military-Industrial Questions, which will put them forward in due time after consideration with the departments of the CPSU Central Committee.”
In development of this resolution the following order is proposed for composing and passing documents.
2. GKES [the State Committee on Foreign Economic Connections], the USSR Ministry of Defense, the USSR KGB, the USSR MVD [Ministry of Internal Affairs], and other ministries and agencies are preparing the following in accordance with existing practice for reporting to the CPSU Central Committee:
-A CPSU Central Committee draft Resolution in the form established by the CPSU Central Committee;
-A report memo to the CPSU Central Committee signed by the leadership of the represented Ministries (in this memo the signature of the Chairperson of the State Commission of the USSR Council of Ministers on Military-Industrial Questions will be included and remain open);
-A draft resolution (order) of the USSR Council of Ministers;
-Draft text of directions to the ambassador;
-A notice of agreement with relevant Ministries and agencies (leaving a place for information on an agreement with the departments of the CPSU Central Committee);
-Other necessary informational materials and documents.
Copy No.1 of the draft resolution and attached materials will be sent to the State Commission of the USSR Council of Ministers on Military-Industrial Questions (GVPK).
At the same time a photocopy of all materials will be sent to the CPSU Central Committee.
Materials will be sent without any additional accompanying documents. The photocopy will be verified by the necessary individuals from the ministries (and agencies) represented.
3. At the CPSU Central Committee the photocopy of materials are registered by the General Department of the CPSU Central Committee in accordance with the “Instructions on Work with Documents within the CPSU Central Committee System” and sent to the Defense Industry Department of the CPSU Central Committee (depending on their ownership they may be transferred to the Economic Department of the CPSU Central Committee or the Department of Administrative Agencies of the CPSU Central Committee), where the materials are reviewed and agreed upon by the International Department of the CPSU Central Committee or another Department of the CPSU Central Committee, after which they are countersigned and stamped.
The Department of Defense Industry of the CPSU Central Committee (or another Department that has received a photocopy of materials) communicates to the GVPK orally about the results of the review and agreement reached by the CPSU Central Committee on the draft resolution, indicating the names of the department leadership who have given their agreement (either of a department head or their deputy).
At the conclusion of the review a photocopy of the stamped material is sent to the GVPK with the following note: “Material has been reviewed. Send to GVPK” (signature of deputy department head).
4. The GVPK reviews materials from the technical side, presents the necessary additional informational materials to the CPSU Central Committee, and makes corrections as necessary to materials in Copy No. 1 and the photocopies held by the CPSU Central Committee.
As information is received from departments of the CPSU Central Committee about agreement on a draft resolution the GVPK adds a notice of agreement with this information.
The memo is signed by the leadership of the GVPK and the materials are submitted to the CPSU Central Committee.
It should be indicated in the draft CPSU Central Committee Resolution presented that it is a matter for the USSR Ministry of Defense (or other represented Ministries), the State Committee on External Economic Connections, and the State Commission of the USSR Council of Ministers on Military-Industrial Questions.
A photocopy of the draft resolutions received from the CPSU Central Committee departments will be stored at the GVPK.
[Handwritten: “Comrade O.S. Belianoko distributed by letter (4.9.87)
Katushek = RKES
Smyspov = Gosplan
Vlasov = MVD
Akhromeev = GShVS
Arietov = MVT
Eliukhonov = KGB
Savinkin = OLO
Belik = EO
Korsishenko = MO
Rybanok = OTsK
Maslonov = VPK
[Numbered annotations on schematic diagram:
1. GKES [State Committee on Foreign Economic Connections]
2. USSR Ministry of Defense
3. USSR General Headquarters of the Armed Forces
5. Copy No. 1
7. Other Ministries
8. CPSU Central Committee Departments
9. Defense industry
10. Oral agreement
11. Photocopy with stamps
13. Agreement (additional)
14. Informational materials
15. International; - CPSU Central Committee
16. USSR Council of Ministers]