Search in

Digital Archive International History Declassified

September, 1945


This document was made possible with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY)

  • Citation

    get citation

    A group of staff members from the Soviet Embassy in Tokyo interviewed Japanese witnesses of the atomic bomb explosions in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They found that the two bombs wreaked havoc on the bodies of those within a small radius of the explosion; most survivors exhibited severe burns, a decreased white blood cell count, and injuries from broken glass. Witnesses from outside this radius faced less severe injuries, and the Embassy staff note that the Japanese press has been exaggerating the effects of the atomic bomb in order to justify the nation’s unconditional surrender.
    "Atomic Bomb (Report of the Group of [Soviet] Embassy Staff Members Who Visited Hiroshima)," September, 1945, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, AVP RF, f. 06, op. 8, p. 7, d. 96, ll. 7-15. Translated by Theresa Billow-Supple.
  • share document


English HTML

Atomic Bomb

(report of group of staff members from the Embassy who visited Hiroshima).

[Translator note: this line was underlined by hand.]

The atomic bomb and the destruction it caused has made a vast impression on the population of Japan. An imperial rescript and official declarations of the Japanese government have referred to it as one of the reasons for Japan’s capitulation. Since it is spoken of as the direct reason for Japan’s defeat, it is natural that its destructive force and the duration of the effect after the explosion is exaggerated by the press in every way. Popular rumor picks up on press reports, distorts them and sometimes takes them to absurdity.  There is even a rumor going around that the appearance of people in the area of the atomic bomb explosion is fraught with danger to one’s life. We have repeatedly heard from Americans and from Japanese that after visiting the areas suffering the effects of the atomic bomb, women have lost their ability to bear children while men have become ill with impotence.

These conversations are stirred up by radio reports from San Francisco in which they say that no living thing can exist in the areas where the atomic bomb exploded for the next seventy years.

Characteristically, along with concrete and truthful reporting, the Japanese press not only does not refute these reports, but conversely takes them up and spreads them. It is possible that two goals have been pursued here: first, to justify the unconditional capitulation with the impossibility of fighting against this horrific weapon, and, second, to impede mass journeys of the population to Hiroshima and Nagasaki to search for family, relatives and friends.

Not trusting all these rumors and reports and having put before us the task to personally familiarize ourselves with the atomic bomb effects, a group of Embassy staff, consisting of TASS correspondent Varshavskiy, former acting military attache Romanov and Naval apparatus employee Kikenin, left for Hiroshima and Nagasaki on 13 September. This concise sketch is limited to a record of conversations with the local population and the injured and a short narrative of personal impressions without any kind of generalizations or conclusions.

[Translator note: the above paragraph was highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

The group of Embassy staff arrived in Hiroshima at dawn on 14 September. There was a steady heavy rain which very much hindered an inspection of the locale and, chiefly, hindered taking photos. The rail station and city were destroyed to such a degree that there was no place to even find cover from the rain. The station chief and his colleagues took cover in а hastily thrown together shed. The city is like a scorched plain with 15-20 skeletons of concrete buildings towering over it.

[Translator note: the last two sentences were highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

Half a kilometer from the station, we met an old Japanese woman who climbed out of a dugout and began to rummage in the burned out area. To the question of in what place the atomic bomb fell, the old woman answered that there was a powerful blaze of lightning and a shock of enormous force, as a result of which she fell and lost consciousness. Therefore, she does not remember where the bomb fell and what happened then.

Going along another 100 meters, we saw something like a lean-to and hurried there to take cover from the rain. Under the lean-to, we observed a sleeping man. He turned out to be an elderly Japanese man, building a shack on the ashes of his home. He recounted the following:

On the 6th of August about 8 o’clock in the morning in Hiroshima the threat situation[1] was lifted. After 10 minutes an American plane appeared over our city and at the same time there was a lightning strike which was followed by a powerful explosion. People were burned by rays, they fell and died. Many people perished. Then the fires arose. It was a clear day and a wind blew in from the sea. The fire spread everywhere and even went against the wind.

He further said that the bomb fell 1.5-2 km. from the railroad station. This was confirmed by other inhabitants.

To the question as to how he remained alive in his home, which was about 1-1.5 km from where the bomb fell, the old man answered that it had somehow happened that he was not hit by the rays but that his house had burned down since the fire raged everywhere.

Currently, he said he could live here safely. On the outskirts of the city, some tens of thousands of people were huddled in dugouts. It was dangerous for the first 5-10 days. In the first days, he noted that people who came to help the injured perished. Even fish in the water died at shallow depths. Vegetation was beginning to revive. The Japanese man said, “I cultivated a garden and expect that there will soon be new growth.”

And truly, contrary to all the evidence, we saw how in various places the grass was beginning to turn green and even on some scorched trees new leaves were appearing.

After this, we inspected the police administration building. It, like all the concrete buildings with concrete floors and ceilings, survived. Characteristically, the glass along with blown-out frames from all four sides lay inside the building. The ceiling bulged out on top.

[Translator note: the last two paragraphs were highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

A policeman in this building told us that articles made of ebonite burned inside rooms, but there was not a big fire in the building. In his words, the bomb fell near the Army parade ground about one and half kilometers from the station.

The area of the effect of the atomic bomb has a radius of 6-8 kilometers. At 6-7 km from Hiroshima station to Koi station we did not see a single building which had not suffered damage to some degree. As a rule, these are small Japanese-type wood homes with tile roofs. They were completely destroyed and burned in direct proximity to Hiroshima station. Further on, there was partial destruction, while at a distance of 5-6 km, roofs were destroyed or the tiles were put into disarray. At all distances, pines, bamboo and other vegetation were scorched and acquired a brownish tinge. [Translator note: the previous sentences were highlighted with a line on the left margin.] In some places they were singed more severely and in others not so much, and there were part where they were completely untouched by the rays. This provides the basis to suppose that the energy of the bomb irradiated not in a solid mass but in beams, the result of which there remained undamaged sections. [Translator note: the previous sentence was highlighted with a line on the left margin.] This is apparently explains the fact that some people received burns, while others did not, even though they were in direct proximity to injured people. This relates only to sections significantly far from where the bomb exploded. In the section of direct effect from the bomb in a radius of one km, everything living was destroyed. [Translator note: the previous sentence was highlighted with a line on the left margin.] The Japanese people we queried said that the sound of the exploding bomb was heard at a great distance. On the road to Hiroshima, the lieutenant accompanying us said that he heard the explosion and lightning strike 50 km. away in Iwakuni. The chief of Miyajimaguchi station 30 km from Hiroshima stated that when he went on the steamer to Miyajima pier he saw the lightning and felt the thermal air blast on his cheek and a pinprick.

One of the members of our group managed to visit the Red Cross hospital in Hiroshima. It is located in a half-destroyed building and it holds injured from the atomic bomb. [Translator note: the previous sentences were highlighted with a line on the left margin.] Burn victims are there as well as those who received other injuries, including invalids who were taken there 15-20 days after being injured. Up to 80 invalids are in this two-story building. They are in an unsanitary situation. They have mainly burns on exposed parts of the body. Many have received only severe injuries from glass. Those who were burned have predominantly burns to the face, arms and legs. Some worked only in shorts and caps, therefore they were burned over a larger part of the body. The bodies of the burned are of a dark brown color with open wounds. They are all covered with bandages and smeared with a white ointment, resembling zinc. The eyes were not damaged. The severely injured with burned extremities did not lose the ability move their fingers and toes. Many were injured by glass, they have deep cuts to the bone. Those who were injured by effects to an uncovered head had their hair fall out. Upon recovery, tufts of hair have begun to grow on bald heads. The invalids have a pale waxen color to their faces. One injured man, about 40-45, was 500 m from where the bomb fell. He worked at some electrical company enterprise. He had up to 2700 white blood cells remaining in one cubic centimeter of blood. He came to the hospital himself and is recovering now. We were not able to establish the reason that he was able to survive at such a close distance to the place the bomb exploded. We were only able to establish that he worked with electrical equipment. He had no burns, but his hair fell out. They are giving him vitamins B and C and vegetables. They noted an increase in white blood cells.

At the rail station our attention was drawn by a man with a patch on his arm on which was written: assistance to the injured. We turned to him with a question and he said that he was a doctor - an ear, nose and throat specialist – and came to Hiroshima to render assistance to those injured by the atomic bomb. This Japanese doctor, by the name of Fukuhara, told us that three atomic bombs with parachutes were dropped on Hiroshima. In his words, he personally saw three parachutes from 14 km away. As confirmed by the doctor, two unexploded bombs were collected by the military and were currently being studied.

Fukuhara arrived on the second day at the rescue site. After he had drunk water, he began to have diarrhea. Others became sick after one and half days. He said that the atomic bomb rays first and foremost engendered a change in blood composition. In one cubic centimeter of blood of a healthy man, the doctor said there are 8000 white blood cells. As a result of the effects of the atomic bomb rays, the number of white blood cells was reduced to 3000, 2000, 1000 and even to 300 and 200. As a result, there was severe bleeding from the nose, throat, and eyes – and uterine bleeding in women. Temperatures in the injured rose to 39, 40 and 41 degrees. After 3-4 days, invalids, as a rule, died. In order to reduce temperature, they were using sulfasol. In treating the injured, they were resorting to transfusing blood and also injecting glucose and a physiological solution. Up to 100 grams of blood was injected in blood transfusions.

The injured who were evacuated from places where they were injured recovered more quickly. [Translator note: the previous sentence was highlighted with a line on the left margin.] Near Hiroshima there are two hospitals for the injured: in Kusatsu, where there are 80 people, and in Jigozen, where there are 100 people.

The injured who drank water or washed with water in the area where the bomb fell on the day it exploded died instantly, the doctor said later. Over the course of 10 days after the bomb exploded it was dangerous to work there: uranium rays continued to irradiate from the earth. Now it is considered safe to be in those places, the doctor said, but this issue was still being studied. In his words, protective clothing against a uranium bomb was rubber and any kind of insulation against electricity. [Translator note: the previous sentence was highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

During our conversation with the doctor, an old Japanese man turned to him for advice. He pointed to a still not completely healed burned neck and asked whether it would soon heal. The doctor examined his neck and said all was in order. The old man told us that at the time the bomb exploded he fell and felt a sharp pain. He did not lose consciousness. He felt the pain and later up until recovery.

On the road to Nagasaki, we spoke with two Japanese students. They told us that one girl, a relative of one of them, went to Hiroshima several days after the bomb exploded to find out about her relatives. After an extended time [there], on 25 August she fell ill and in two days, that is on 27 August, she died.

We arrived in Nagasaki on 18 September. The weather was again not favorable for us: a steady rain did not allow for photographs.

The city of Nagasaki is divided by a large mountain into two parts: the old and new city. The bomb was dropped over the new city, therefore the old city was destroyed significantly less, especially since the mountain hindered the propagation of the atomic bomb rays.

[Translator note: the previous paragraph was highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

At the Beach Hotel, 8-10 km from the railroad station, we questioned the chief of the police section who told us the following:

The atomic bomb was dropped on 9 August about 10 o’clock in the morning, 2-2.5 km from the station. Prior to this, a formation of American planes appeared over the city and a battle alarm [red alert] was declared. Then there was an all clear signal and a threat situation was declared. Workers started to work. Two enemy planes appeared over the city but they did not pay any attention to this. At this time in the city, neighboring groups of “tonari gumi”[2] had been summoned to discuss countermeasures against an atomic bomb, taking into account the experience in Hiroshima.

The bomb fell 8 km from the Beach Hotel.  Glass was blown out and here and there the roof was destroyed. Many from the quarter near the “Beach Hotel” went to Nagasaki in order to find out the fate of their relatives. Almost all of them died.

Traveling around the city in an automobile, we pelted our Japanese driver with questions. He told us that the first day no rescue work was done because fire was raging everywhere. The work began only on the second day. No one remained alive in the area nearest to where the bomb exploded. Prisoners of war perished, mainly Filipinos working at the Mitsubishi Heiki military plant, and Japanese workers at the Nagasaki Seiko plant.

The driver said the atomic bomb fell near the university hospital (Urakami region). The skeleton of the hospital remains. All the hospital patients perished, along with service personnel, doctors and the director.

The gas holder, which was about 400 meters from where the bomb fell, crumpled and is flattened to the ground.

Two other gas holders, situated at a distance of 1-1.5 km, exploded. The first building of the Nagasaki plant, at a distance of 1200-1300 m from where the bomb fell, was flattened. The Mitsubishi Heiki plant was situated further away. Of its buildings, only a bare iron framework remains.

[Translator note: the previous three paragraphs were highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

A strong cadaver smell is in the area where the bomb fell: many bodies have still not been removed from under the ruins and where the conflagration occurred. The driver told us that there were cases where children were sitting in trees among the leaves and remained alive, while those not too far away who played on the ground perished.

The station was destroyed: it burned from fires. The station chief with his staff were on one of the platforms under an awning. Of the station employees, only two people perished – they were pinned under railcars. The station chief was in the station at the time of the explosion and receive a small burn on the left part of his face and ear. He did not stop working the whole time and now feels good.

[Translator note: the previous paragraph was highlighted with a line on the left margin.]

The majority of Japanese note that the bomb over Hiroshima was dropped in a parachute and exploded 500-600 m from the ground. In juxtaposition to this, the chief of the sanitary service of Spruance’s American Fifth Fleet, Commodore Willcutts[3], with whom we undertook the return trip to Tokyo, confirmed that the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki without parachutes. He also refuted any possibility of a case where an atomic bomb fell and did not explode. He confirmed that after the bomb exploded, it was safe in the area where it fell. In his opinion, the Japanese were greatly exaggerating the effectiveness of the atomic bomb. He confirmed the indications of illness, which the Japanese doctor Fukuhara noted, and considers the treatment methods to be correct.

[1] Threat situation – referring to an air raid warning.

[2] Tonarigumi – neighborhood association, the smallest unit of the national mobilization program used by the Japanese government in WWII.

[3] Commodore Morton D. Willcutts, Fleet Medical Officer, Fifth Fleet. Admiral Raymond A. Spruance, commander U.S. Fifth Fleet.



(Доклад группы работников Посольства, посетивших Хиросима).

Атомная бомба и вызванные ею разрушения произвели огромнее впечатление на население Японии. О ней упоминается в императорском рескрипте и официальных заявлениях японского правительства, как об одной из причин капитуляции Японии. Поскольку о ней говорится как о непосредственной причине поражения Японии, то естественно, что ее разрушительная сила и длительность действия после разрыва всячески преувеличиваются прессой. Народная молва подхватывает сообщения прессы, искажает их и иногда доводит до абсурда. Распространился даже слух, что и в настоящее время появление людей в районе разрыва атомной бомбы сопряжено с опасностью для жизни. Неоднократно приходилось слышать и от американцев к от японцев, что после посещения районов, подвергшихся воздействию атомной бомбы, женщины теряют способность к деторождению, а мужчины заболевают импотенцией.

Эти разговоры подогревались радиопередачами из Сан-Франциско, в которых говорилось, что в районах разрыва атомной бомбы ничто живое не может существовать в течение семидесяти лет.

Характерно, что наряду с конкретными и правдивыми сведениям, японская печать не только не опровергала эти сообщения, а, наоборот, подхватывала их и распространяла. Возможно, что здесь преследовалось две цели: во-первьх, оправдать безоговорочную капитуляцию невозможностью бороться против этого ужасного оружия и, во-вторых, помешать массовым поездкам населения в Хиросима и Нагасаки для розысков родных, близких и знакомых.

Не доверяя всем этим слухам и сообщениям и поставив перед собой задачу лично ознакомиться с действием атомной бомбы, группа сотрудников Посольства в составе корреспондента ТАСС Варшавского, бывшего исполняющего обязанности военного атташе Романова и сотрудника морского аппарата Кикенина 13 сентября выехала в Хиросима и Нагасаки. Настоящий сжатый очерк ограничивается записью бесед с местным населением и пострадавшими и кратким изложением личных впечатлений, без каких-либо обобщений и выводов.

Группа сотрудников Посольства прибыла в Хиросима на рассвете 14 сентября. Непрерывно шел сильный дождь, что крайне мешало осмотру местности и, главное, мешало сделать фотоснимки. Железнодорожная станция и город уничтожены в такой степени, что негде даже было укрыться от дождя. Начальник станции к его сотрудники приютились в наскоро сколоченном сарае. Город представляет из себя выжженную равнину с возвышающимися 15-20 остовами железобетонных зданий.

На расстоянии полукилометра от станции мы встретили старую японку, которая вылезла из землянки и начала рыться в пожарище. На вопрос, в каком месте упала атомная бомба, старуха ответила, что произошел сильный блеск молнии и огромной силы удар, в результате чего она упала и потеряла сознание. Поэтому она не помнит, где удала бомба и что произошло потом.

Пройдя дальше метров 100, мы увидели подобие навеса и поспешили укрыться там от дождя. Под навесом мы обнаружили спящего человека. Он оказался пожилым японцем, строящим хижину на месте пепелища своего дома. Он рассказал следующее:

6-го августа около 8 часов утра в Хиросима было снято угрожаемое положение. Через 10 минут над городом появился американский самолет и одновременно с этим произошел удар молнии, они падали и умирали. Погибло много народа. Затем возникли пожары. Был ясный день и с моря дул ветер. Пожар распространялся повсюду и даже против ветра.

Долее он сказал, что бомба упала на расстоянии 1,5 - 2 км от железнодорожной станции. Это же самое утверждали и другие жители.

На вопрос, каким образом он остался жив, находясь дома, который расположен примерно на расстоянии 1-1,5 км от места падения бомбы, старик ответил, что как-то случилось, что он не был задет лучами, но дом его сгорел, ибо повсюду свирепствовал пожар.

В настоящее время, сказал он, жить здесь безопасно. На окраинах города в землянках ютится несколько десятков тысяч человек. Было опасно первые 5-10 дней. В первые дни, заметил он, люди, пришедшие оказывать помощь пострадавшим, погибли. Погибла даже рыба в воде на небольшой глубине. Растения начинают оживать. Я, сказал японец, возделал огород и ожидаю, что скоро начнутся всходы.

И действительно, наперекор всем утверждениям, мы видели, как в различных местах начинает зеленеть трава и даже на некоторых обгоревших деревьях появляются новые листья.

После этого мы осмотрели здание полицейского управления. Оно, как и все железобетонные здания с железобетонными потолками к полами, уцелело. Характерно, что стекла вместе с выбитыми рамами со всех четырех сторон летели вовнутрь здания. Потолок выпучило вверх.

Находившийся в этом здании полицейский сказал нам, что внутри помещения сгорели изделия из эбонита, но большого пожара в здании не было. По его словам, бомба упала в районе армейского плаца на расстоянии полутора километров от вокзала.

Район действия атомной бомбы имеет в радиусе 6-8 км. На расстоянии 6-7 км. от ст. Хиросима до ст. Кои мы не видели ни одного непострадавшего в той или мной степени здания. Как правило, это небольшие японского типа деревянные домики с черепичной крышей. В непосредственной близости от ст. Хиросима они полностью разрушены и сгорели. Дальше идут частичные разрушения, а на расстоянии 5-6 км. разрушены крыши или же приведена в беспорядок черепица. На всем расстоянии сосны, бамбук и другая растительность опалена и приобрела коричнево-бурую окраску. В некоторых местах они опалена сильнее, в других – слабее, и есть участки, совершенно не затронутые лучами. Это дает основание предположить, что энергия бомбы излучалась не сплошной массой, а пучками, в результате чего остались непораженные участки. Этим, по-видимому, объясняется и тот факт, что одни люди получали ожоги, а другие их не получали, хотя они находились в непосредственной близости от пострадавших. Это относится только к участкам, значительно удаленным от места разрыва бомбы. На участке же непосредственного воздействия бомбы в радиусе до одного км. уничтожено все живое. Опрошенные нами японцы говорили, что звук разорвавшейся бомбы был слышен на большом расстоянии. По пути в Хиросима ехавший с нами лейтенант сказал, что он слышал звук разрыва и блеск молнии с расстояния 50 км., находясь в Ивакуни. Начальник станции Миядзимагути в 30км. от Хиросима заявил, что, когда он шел на пароход к пристани Миядеима, тс увидал молнию и по чувствовал прикосновение теплой струи к щеке и укол.

Одному из членов нашей группы удалось посетить больницу Красного Креста в Хиросиме. Она помещается в полуразрушенном здании и в ней содержатся пострадавшие от атомной бомбы. Там лежат обожженные и получившие другие ранения, и среди низ больные, доставленные через 15-20 дней осле ранения. В этом двухэтажном здании находится до 80 больных. Они находятся в антисанитарном состоянии. У них, главным образом, ожоги открытых частей тела. Многие получили только сильные ранения стеклом. У обожженных преимущественно ожоги лица, рук и ног. Некоторые работали только в трусах и кепках, поэтому обожжена большая часть тела. Тело обожженных темнокоричневого цвета с открытыми ранами. Все они обинтованы бинтами и намазаны белой мазью, напоминающей цинковую. Глаза не повреждены. Сильно пострадавшие с обожженными конечностями не потеряли способность двигать пальцами ног и рук. Многие ранены стеклами, у них глубокие порезы до кости. У лиц, подвергшихся воздействию с непокрытой головой, выпали волосы. По выздоровлению на открытых черепах начинают вырастать волосы отдельными пучками. Больные им имеют бледновосковый цвет лица. Один пострадавший мужчина 40-45 лет находился на расстоянии 500 метров от падения бомбы. Он работал на каком-то предприятии электрокомпании. У него осталось до 2700 белых кровяных шариков в одном кубическом см. крови. В больницу он пришел сам и сейчас выздоравливает. Нам не удалось установить причины, что его могло спасти на таком близком расстоянии от места разрыва бомбы. Удалось только установить, что он работал с электрооборудованием. У него ожогов нет, но вылезли волосы. Ему дают витамины В и С и овощи. Отмечается увеличение белых кровяных шариков.

На ж.д. станции наше внимание привлек человек с повязкой на руке, на которой было написано «помощь пострадавшим».

Мы обратились к нему с вопросом и он сказал, что он врач по специальности уха, горло, нос и поехал в Хиросима оказывать помощь пострадавшим от атомной бомбы. Этот японский врач по фамилии Фукухара сказал нам, что на Хиросима было сброшено три атомные бомбы с парашютами. По его словам он лично видел три парашюта с расстоянии в 14 км. Две не разорвавшиеся бомбы, как утверждает врач были подобраны военными и сейчас изучаются.

На место спасательных работ Фукухара прибыл на второй день. После того, как он выпил воды у него начался понос. Другие заболели поносом через полутора суток. Он сказал, что лучи атомной бомбы вызывают прежде всего изменение состава крови.

В одном кубическом сантиметре крови здорового человека сказал врач, имеется 8000 белых кровяных шариков. В результате воздействия атомной бомбы количество белых кровяных шариков уменьшается до 3000, 2000, 1000 и даже 300 и 200. В результате сильное кровотечении из носа, горла, глаз и у женщин маточное кровотечение. У пострадавших температура поднимается до 39-40 и 41 градусов. После 3-4 дней больные, как правило умирают. Для понижения температуры применяют сульфзон. При лечении пострадавших прибегают к переливанию крови вводится так же глюкоза и физиологический раствор. При переливании крови водится до 100 гр. крови.

Раненые, эвакуированные с мест ранения выздоравливают быстрее. Около Хиросима имеется две больницы для пострадавших в Кусацу, где имеется 80 человек и в Двигозден – 100 человек.

Пострадавшие, пившие воду, или обмывающиеся водой в районе падения бомбы в день ее разрыва, сказал далее врач, моментально умирали. В течение 10 дней после разрыва бомбы там опасно было работать: урановые лучи продолжали излучаться з земли. Сейчас пребывание в тех местах считается безопасным, сказал врач, но этот вопрос не изучается. По его словам защитная одежда против урановой бомбы – резина и всяческий изолятор против электричества.

Во время нашего разговора с врачом, к нему обратился старик японец за советом. Он указал на еще не совсем зажившую обожженную шею и спросил, скоро ли она заживет. Врач осмотрел шею и сказал, что все в порядке. Старик рассказал нам, что в момент разрыва бомбы он упал и почувствовал острую боль. сознания не потерял. Боль чувствовал и в дальнейшем вплоть до выздоровления.

По дороге в Нагасаки мы разговорились с двумя японскими студентами. Они нам рассказали, что одна девушка, родственница одного из них, через несколько дней после разрыва бомбы поехала в Хиросима узнать о своих близких. Спустя продолжительное время 25 августа она заболела, а через два дня, т.е. 27 августа умерла.

В Нагасаки мы прибыли 16 сентября. Погода снова нам не благоприятствовала: непрерывный дождь не позволил произвести фотосъемки.

Город Нагасаки разделен большой горой на две части старый и новый город. Бомба была сброшена над новым городом, поэтому старый город разрушен значительно меньше, тем более распространению лучей бомбы помешала гора.

В «Бич-Хотел», находящемся на расстоянии 8-10 км от ж.д. станции, мы спросили начальника полицейского участка, который рассказал нам следующее:

Атомная бомба была сброшена 9 августа около 10 часов утра на расстоянии 2-2,5 км от вокзала. До этого над городом появилось соединение американских самолетов. Была об”явлена боевая тревога. Затем был отбой боевой тревоги и об”явлено угрожаемое положение. Рабочие приступили к работе. Над городом появилось два самолета противника, но на это не обратили внимания. В это время в городе созывались соседские группы «Тонари гумми» для обсуждения контрмер против атомной бомбы учитывая опыт Хиросимы.

Бомба упала на расстоянии 8 км. от «Бич-Хотела». В отэле выбиты стекла и кое-где разрушена крыша. Из квартала, расположенного поблизости от «Бич-Хотеля», сказал полицейский, многие пошли в Нагасаки, чтобы узнать о судьбе своих родственников. Почти все они умерли.

Об’езжая город на автомобили мы забросали японского шофера вопросами. Он сказал нам, что в первый день спасательных работ не велось, поскольку всюду свирепствовал огонь. Работы начались только на второй день. В ближайшем к разрыву бомбы районе никто не остался в живых. Погибли военнопленные, главным образом филиппинцы работавшие на военном заводе «Мицубиси» «Хейки» и японские рабочие на заводе «Нагасаки Сейко».

Атомная бомба сказал шофер, упала в районе университетского госпиталя (район Ураками). Остов госпиталя сохранился. Все больные госпиталя вместе с обслуживающим персоналом, врачами и директором погибли.

Газгольдер, находившийся примерно на расстоянии 400 метров от места падения бомбы смят и приплюснут к земле.

Два других газгольдера, расположенных на расстоянии 1-1,5 км, взорвались. Первый корпус завода «Нагасаки Хейки» находящийся на расстоянии 1200-1300 метров от места падения бомбы, сплюснут. Завод «Мицубиси Хейки» расположен дальше. ОТ его корпуса остался голый железный каркас.

В районе падения бомбы сильный трупный запах: много трупов еще не убрали из-под развалин и пожарища. Шофер сказал нам, что были случаи, когда дети сидели на деревьях в листве и оставались в живых, а те, кто неподалеку играл на земле погибли.

Вокзал уничтожен, он сгорел от пожаров. Начальник станции со своим штатом помещается на одной из платформ под навесом. Из числа сотрудников вокзала погибло только два человека – они были придавлены вагонами. Начальник станции во время разрыва находился на вокзале и получил небольшой ожог левой части лица и уха. Он все время не прекращал работать и сейчас чувствует себя хорошо.

Большинство японцев утверждает, что бомба над Хиросима была сброшена на парашюте и разорвалась на расстоянии 500-600 мт от земли. В противоположность тому начальник санитарной службы пятого американского флота Спруенса командор Вилликаттс, с которым мы проделали обратный путь в Токио, утверждал, что атомные бомбы в Хиросима и Нагасаки сбрашивались без парашюта. Он также отрицал всякую возможность случая, когда атомная бомба упала не разорвавшись. Он утверждал, что после разрыва бомбы в районе ее падения безопасно.

По его мнению японцы сильно преувеличивают эффективность атомной бомбы. Признаки заболевания, которые отмечал японский врач Фукухара, он подтверждает и считает правильными методы лечения.


It appears your Web browser is not configured to display PDF files. No worries, just click here to download the PDF file.

Click here to view the PDF file in a new window.

PDFs cannot be printed inline in the page. To print a PDF, you must first download the file and open it in a PDF viewer.