August 27, 1986
Comprehensive Plan of cooperation of USSR KGB 1st Main Directorate Departments with the 1st Directorate of the CSSR FMVD concerning the organization of agent operational work in the countries of the Near East between 1986 and 1990
Chief of the 1st Main Directorate
Chief of the 1st Directorate
of cooperation of USSR KGB 1st Main Directorate Departments with the 1st
Directorate of the CSSR FMVD concerning the organization of agent operational
work in the countries of the Near East between 1986 and 1990
The US devotes a special place to the Near East in its plans for the strategic encirclement of the Soviet Union, the CSSR, and the other countries of the socialist commonwealth. Relying on Israel and reactionary Arabs Washington is trying to undermine our political, economic, and strategic military positions in the region, and is striving to turn it into its military and political bridgehead in the region in direct proximity to the borders of the socialist commonwealth. The US is broadly practicing the methods of “power diplomacy” to realize its doctrine of “neoglobalism”, even as far as direct military pressure on our allies in the region.
Considering the above the foreign policy intelligence services of the USSR and CSSR intend to expand and improve cooperation between the geographic subunits and residencies of the KGB and FMVD in agent operational work in the Near East against the US, Britain, the FRG, France, and the other NATO countries, and also against Israel, the Arab countries, and Arab political forces and organizations.
From 1986 to 1990 the joint efforts will be directed at solving problems concerning the following main sectors.
I. The acquisition and exchange of intelligence information
It is advisable to concentrate attention on information coverage of the following problem area.
1. The plans of the US to create a military and political bridgehead against the socialist commonwealth in the Near East; the designs of the US, their NATO allies, Japan, and Arab reactionaries to undermine the political and economic positions of the USSR, the CSSR, and the other socialist countries in this region.
2. The differences among the imperialists in the approach to regional problems; the trends of the development of the political situation in the region favorable for stepping up the work of the USSR, the CSSR, and the other countries of the socialist commonwealth to counter the ambitions of the US and other NATO countries, Israel, and also Arab reactionaries, and to firm up the positions of the countries of the socialist commonwealth in the Near East.
3. Signs of the emergence of crisis situations in the Near East, primarily [those] fraught with the outbreak of global armed conflict and the danger of an enemy nuclear missile attack;
- the relevant aspects of a Near East settlement in conditions of massive military and political pressure of imperialism and Zionism on the Arab countries;
- the Iran-Iraq War and prospects for its end against the background of a stepping up of the West’s activity to destabilize the situation in the region of the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean.
4. The position of China on the main problems of the Near East region and the intentions of the PRC leadership to block the influence of the countries of the socialist commonwealth in the Arab countries, including in the Palestinian resistance movement.
5. The most important aspects of the foreign policy and domestic political position of the countries of the region, the prospects for the development of ties between the Near East countries with the USSR, CSSR, and the other socialist countries.
II. Active measures
1. Strengthen the positions and authority of the USSR, CSSR, and the other socialist countries in the Near East, and facilitate turning their foreign policy initiatives into effect.
2. Support the Near East Arab countries with an anti-imperialist orientation (Syria, the PDRY, Iraq) and the Arab national liberation movement as a whole, and assist the consolidation of progressive forces in the Near East on an anti-American basis.
3. Strengthen the anti-imperialist orientation in Arab nationalism and the Islamic movement, oppose attempts by the US and PRC to subordinate the growth of nationalist and Islamic tendencies in the Arab world to their hegemonic interests.
4. Oppose the designs of the US and Israel to unleash a regional armed conflict in the Near East to strike a blow at progressive Arab regimes and leftist forces; form an atmosphere in the countries of the region which would make the very idea of such a conflict politically disadvantageous for Washington and Tel Aviv.
5. Expose the anti-Arab substance of the policy of the US and their NATO allies in the Near East and discredit the policy of the reactionary Arabs.
III. Agent penetration of the main targets of our interest in the Near East
Consider the embassies and various missions of the US and the other leading NATO countries and the PRC, and also the main institutions of the countries of the region – the offices of the heads of state and government, the top echelons of political parties, the armies, the special services, and the MFA - the main targets of agent penetration in the Near East. Expand cooperation to develop the organizations of the mass media in order to strengthen the agent staff to ensure the effectiveness of the active measures.
in connection with the expansion and deepening of the “strategic cooperation” between the US and Israel directed at the socialist commonwealth devote special attention to the coordination of activity of the two intelligence services to increase agent opportunities on the territory of Israel and in Zionist centers.
Operational coordination against the main objects of agent penetration is accomplished with strict observance of the requirements of secrecy considering the features of the agent operational situation in the countries of the region. An exchange of operational information on these objects between the residencies of the KGB and FMVD in Amman, Baghdad, Beirut, Damascus, and Cairo is done in the established manner.
Special attention is being devoted to the coordination of work to obtain agent recruiters and the pursuit of recruiting developments “under a false flag” to expand cooperation against the main objects of our interest in the Near East.
A solution to the problem of the priority of the development of foreigners who have come into the field of view of two cooperating residencies can be adopted through mutual coordination at the headquarters level.
In operationally advisable situations with the sanction of their headquarters KGB and FMVD residencies will jointly conduct measures to introduce agent networks into targets of interest with concealment of the operational essence of the operation.
IV. The coordination of residencies in crisis situations
Improve the coordination of the KGB and FMVD residencies at various stages of the development of crisis situations concerning the most important aspects of the work on the basis of the mobilization plans of the cooperating residencies.
V. Other questions
The following need to be emphasized among the long-term tasks against individual countries of the region which both sides tackle in the planned period.
1. Give support to the Palestinian resistance movement as one of the most important factors giving an anti-American thrust to the political processes in the Near East on the basis of strengthening the leftist and anti-imperialist forces in it.
2. Expose the aggressive expansionist policy of Israel and the anti-Communist actions of international Zionism, increase the isolation of Tel Aviv in the international arena, exacerbate American-Israeli relations and exert influence on the leadership of Israel in terms of changing its negative approach to the initiatives of the countries of the socialist commonwealth concerning a Near East settlement.
3. Influence the leadership of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the countries of the Persian Gulf zone in the direction of distancing them from US policy and the normalization of relations with the socialist commonwealth.
4. Hold Jordan in a position of non-alignment toward separate negotiations with Israel and influence the Jordanian leadership in terms of the advisability of strengthening relations with the countries of the socialist commonwealth.
5. Assistance to a comprehensive and just settlement of the Arab-Israeli conflict and a halt to the Iraq-Iran War in order to unfreeze the existing explosive situation in the Near East.
Chief of the 18th Department
"21" August 1986
Chief of the 47th Department
" " [Blank] 1986
Cooperative agreement with a focus on shared intelligence work in the "Near East against the US, Britain, the FRG, France, and the other NATO countries, and also against Israel, the Arab countries, and Arab political forces and organizations."
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].