February 27, 1962
Polish Embassy, Rio de Janeiro (Chabasinski), to Polish Foreign Ministry
This document was made possible with support from Leon Levy Foundation
Of Special Significance
Making copies is prohibited
Ciphergram No. 2751
From: Rio de Janeiro dispatched on 02.27.1962 at 20:00 and received on 02.28.1962 at 07:10
Came to the Decoding Department on 02.28.1962 at 7:15
To: [Foreign Minister Adam] RAPACKI
From: [Ambassador Wojciech] CHABASINSKI
Today I was received by [Foreign Minister Francisco Clementino San Tiago] Dantas in the presence of their new ambassador [to Poland?].
- According to your instructions in dispatch no. 2174, I extended an invitation to him that he was pleased to receive. He wishes to visit us from Geneva. He needs to accompany [President] Goulart to Washington on April 2nd. In a few days he will let me know the dates and how long he will be there and then we will agree upon a mutual communiqué.
- According to your dispatch no. 2044, I highlighted our position regarding the issue of disarmament. He reminded me that their position on the issue has been generally delineated in the pronouncements of [Brazilian Ambassador Afonso] Arinos at the U.N. session and in the reply to Khrushchev’s letter.
- I relayed the note about [Jerzy] Michalowski’s candidacy [for a Polish ambassador to Brazil?]. He promised to consider it. The name Michalowski was known to him.
- I brought up the issue of bilateral trade, something he would like to talk about when he visits Poland.
- He strongly stressed that the aim of the government is to expand relations with Poland in all areas. He very warmly recommended their new ambassador [to Poland], by especially emphasizing his superb knowledge of the intentions of the government and as someone who holds an excellent position in the Itamarati.
Decoded on 02.28.1962 at 08:50 by Pospychala, checked by Patrycy
 Poland’s envoy to Brazil from 1956-61 and Poland’s ambassador to Brazil from 1961-65.
Telegram describing Ambassador Chabasinski's meeting with Brazilian Foreign Minister Francisco Clementino San Tiago Dantas regarding the new Brazilian ambassador to Poland and mutual interests between the two countries.
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].
Original Uploaded Date