TELEGRAM FROM VASILEVSKY TO STALINCITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationVasilevsky reports on the deployment of a battalion of fighter pilots to Korea via China and the planned deployment of battalions, technicians, artillery, fuel, and other necessities."Telegram from Vasilevsky to Stalin," September 23, 1950, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, APRF, fond 3, opis 65, delo 827, listy 81-82 https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/112685
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
To Comrade STALIN 3. On September 24, in order to organize the reception of the regiment and its combat operation, we are sending by car from the Maritime Region to Pyongyang the commander of the aviation corps Colonel Noga who is supposed to meet the regiment in Andong, assign combat tasks thereto, and be in charge of its flight over to Pyongyang.
I herewith report concerning the undertaken measures relating to the redeployment of the fighter aviation regiment based on the "LA-9" type of aircraft from the Maritime Region to provide air cover for the city of Pyongyang.
1. For the redeployment we assigned the 304th fighter aviation regiment of the 32nd fighter aviation division numbering 40 airplanes "LA-9" currently deployed at the air base Spassk in the Maritime Region.
On October 1-2, the regiment will be redeployed by air via Chinese territory by the route Spassk-Dongning-Yanji-Tonghua-Andong-Pyongyang.
We will carefully elaborate the flight plan, especially regarding its segment from Andong to Pyongyang, and the regiment's pilot crews will study it thoroughly.
2. The information which we received from Korea indicates that airdromes in the vicinity of Pyongyang are still suitable for operation.
At present, there are no maintenance personnel at these airdromes because they had all been redeployed to airfields south of Seoul. Neither are there fuel and munitions for combat aircraft in the vicinity of Pyongyang.
Therefore, first, from September 25 to September 30, we will transport the following by railroad from the Maritime Region via Andong to their destinations:
4. The regiment is expected to commence fulfilling its combat mission aimed at covering Pyongyang from the air on October 3.
5. At the same time, we consider it necessary to report that our pilots' work in the skies over Pyongyang will inevitably be discovered by the U.S. troops right after the first air combat, because all the control and command over the combat in the air will be conducted by our pilots in the Russian language.
V A S I L E V S K Y
"23" September 1950
To Comrade STALIN
3. On September 24, in order to organize the reception of the regiment and its combat operation, we are sending by car from the Maritime Region to Pyongyang the commander of the aviation corps Colonel Noga who is supposed to meet the regiment in Andong, assign combat tasks thereto, and be in charge of its flight over to Pyongyang.