Stalin requests that the Soviet Union gain possession of the Kurile Islands and the northern half of the island of Hokkaido, Japan.
August 19, 1945
Order by Aleksandr Novikov to the Commander of the 9th Air Army
COMMANDER OF THE 9TH AIR ARMY COLONEL GENERAL CDE. SOKOLOV
COPY: GENERAL COMMANDER MARSHAL CDE. VASILEVSKII, COMMANDER of the 1st FAR EASTERN FRONT MARSHAL CDE. MERETSKOV
Implementing decisions of the General Commander, I ORDER:
1. For providing air support to the landing of land forces on the island of HOKKAIDO and on the southern group of the KURILE islands, fully use air force of the 9th air army in coordination with the sea air force of the POF [Pacific Ocean Fleet].
Develop a plan of air support of the landing operation and report to me no later than 24.00 on 19.8.45.
2. Prepare 32nd and 34th air divisions for the transfer in full to the northern part of the island of HOKKAIDO and the islands of KUNASHIRI [Kunashir], ITURUP.
For support of the said divisions, provide one air base area consisting of four b[atallions] of a[erodrome] s[upport], area management and the head depot. Make provision for the transfer—for bombing—of 5 (five) units of fuel and 3 sets of ammunition, and 10 units of fuel and 5 (five) sets of ammunition for destroyers.
Provide the transferred air divisions fully with means of radio communication and supply each air division (32nd and 34th air divisions) with one SM[?]-17 plane, which will come to you from the 12th air army.
3. Transfer of the flying echelon is to be organized along the route: KHABAROVSK, KOMSOMOL’SK, SAKHALIN, island of HOKKAIDO.
Land echelons, means of communication and ammunition are to be transferred by sea transport.
4. Provide for the departure for the island of HOKKAIDO with the first departed rifle division the departure [sic] of the operative group from the area management and one b[atallion] of a[erodrome] s[upport] , and with the transferred second air division, send one more [base of] a[erodrome] s[upport] and the entire area headquarters.
5. The timing of the transfer of the divisions and the timing of the conduct of the operation will be supplied by the Commander of the front.
6. Report to me daily [two words unclear] on the progress of the implementation of this order.
MAIN MARSHAL OF THE AIR FORCE NOVIKOV
Novikov gives orders for air support in preparation for a Soviet invasion of the Japanese island of Hokkaido.
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].