May 3, 1962
Polish Embassy, Rio de Janeiro (Chabasinski), to Polish Foreign Ministry
This document was made possible with support from Leon Levy Foundation
Of Special Significance
Making copies is prohibited
Ciphergram No. 6409
From: Rio de Janeiro dispatched on 05.03.1962 at 15:00 and received on 05.03.1962 at 24:00
Came to the Decoding Department on 05.04.1962 at 07:00
To: [Foreign Minister Adam] RAPACKI
From: [Ambassador Wojciech] CHABASINSKI
On May 2nd, I hosted [Foreign Minister Francisco Clementino San Tiago] Dantas, his wife, and among other guests, the university provost. In a very warm toast, [Minister] Dantas emphasized how politically important the visit to Poland was to President [Goulart] and the Brazilian government. He mentioned that your visit to Brazil, as well as his talks with you in Geneva, were fundamentally important to Brazil’s relations with the entire socialist camp. Here is the following information which I obtained in our long conversation:
- He wants to talk about the German question. Today, he received the approval of the president to present to you Brazil’s current position on the German problem, which as he expressed, “will be in line with Poland’s ideas and interests.”
- He will bring up crucial issues in the area of economic relations. His idea is for Poland and other socialist countries to join in Brazil’s economic development on the basis of a grand plan of economic cooperation parallel to the American “Alliance for Progress.”
- The Brazilian government is keenly interested in Poland’s foreign policy ideas and it is ready to discuss them.
- He wants to sound out the relationship between the Vatican and the socialist countries. He is prepared to talk with the pope on his way back and to present to him various views on that issue. He is also interested in the state-church relations of Poland.
- He would very much like to get to know the Polish leadership personally.
- He wants to expand the Polish-Brazilian cooperation as much as possible, including the exchange of presidential visits. I got the impression that Dantas treats this reciprocal visit not as a formal one but as a significant political step that was discussed with the president and the government and a visit that places less emphasis on economic issues than we expected. He also implied that [President John F.] Kennedy urged them to enter into dialogue with Poland.
Decoded on 05.04.1962 at 16:00 by Kipigroch, checked by Strzelecki
 He was Poland’s envoy to Brazil from 1956 until 1961 and Poland’s ambassador to Brazil from 1961 until 1965.
Telegram recounting a dinner hosted by Ambassador Chabasinski and attended by Foreign Minister Francisco Clementino San Tiago Dantas during which they discussed the two countries economic relations, foreign policy, and expanding Polish-Brazilian cooperation.
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].
Original Uploaded Date