June 24, 1972
Report from Kádas István, 'The visit of Korean ambassador Pak Gyeong-sun'
This document was made possible with support from Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY)
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Regional Division IV
Produced in 8 copies for:
- Comrade Marjai
- Comrade Csatordai
- Comrade Barity
- Comrade Arányi
- Comrade dr. Nagy
- Comrade Szücs
Subject: The visit of Korean ambassador Pak Gyeong-sun [Pak Kyong-sun]
I received Comrade Pak Gyeong-sun, the DPRK's ambassador in Budapest, at his request on June 22, who marked the purpose of his visit in the following points:
1) This year between June 25 and June 27 the event "Month of fighting for the withdrawal of American aggression units from South Korea" will be held in the DPRK and various other countries around the world. As reported already in the Korean papers, social and public organizations published joint statements in the DPRK for this event. The importance of this year's month of fighting is that the American imperialists continue to occupy South Korea and obstruct peaceful reunification of the country. Never-ending provocations continue along the demilitarized zone.
Since signing the armistice, the Americans violated the treaty 106,200 times: 800 times in airspace, 1103 times on the sea. They initiated cannon fire 5360 times inside and brought weapons 1690 times into the demilitarized zone.
From 1972 January 1 to the end of May, the armistice pact was violated 7530 times by the enemy, including 6 times in airspace. Groups of spies were sent 5 times into the DPRK this year.
During the month of fighting, they will explicate their known standpoints: they demand the withdrawal of the occupying forces from South Korea, and will give voice to the DPRK's suggestions for peaceful reunification.
At the end of this topic, the ambassador expressed his gratitude for all the Hungarian support and asked the Hungarians to stand beside the righteous cause of Korea in the future as well.
He explained that the embassy is organizing the following events for the month of fighting:
- A joint press conference with the People's Patriotic Front on June 26 at 10:30.
- Movie screening held by the ambassador around June 18.
- Movie screening in July organized by the military attaché.
- Reception on June 27.
I indicated in my response that just as before, we can ensure our support for our Korean comrades in their fight for peaceful reunification of their country. I promised support for their events.
2) The ambassador informed me, according to the best of his knowledge, about the preparation for the visit of Vice Foreign Minister Comrade Ri Man-seok [Ri Man Sok]. (There is a separate record in this matter.)
3) He briefly informed me about the Red Cross negotiations between the two parts of the country. He described the results of the preparatory talks based on what has already been published in the press. He had a remarkable statement that only through the Red Cross negotiations can they move forward in the issue of the reunification of Korea. The embassy published some informational material on this topic as part of the bulletin for the Month of Fighting.
4) To my enquiry he told me that the Korean delegations had a good time during the recent international education union conference held in Budapest. He especially acknowledged the reception of the teacher delegation of the league of Korean people living in Japan. This was the first time where the league of Korean people living in Japan could send delegations to international conferences held in countries other than Japan or the DPRK. Han Dok-su, the president of the league, expressed his gratitude for the warm welcome and solidarity to the Hungarian party in a separate post through the ambassador.
I also used this opportunity to inform the ambassador about the problems regarding the reception of the Korean parliamentary delegation preparing to leave for the Netherlands. The ambassador promised to forward this information, and that they will mail the president of the Dutch parliament's First Chamber on this matter. A copy of that letter will also be handed over to the Hungarian Foreign Affairs Ministry.
I announced that the Health Ministry will host the delegations of the Korean partner ministry in the beginning of July. Please report the members of the delegation and their area of interest.
The conversation was conducted in a comradely atmosphere.
Budapest, 1972 June 24.
A report by Kadas Istvan on a conversation with North Korean ambassador Pak Gyeong-sun about the US violation of the armistice treaty and inter-Korean relations.
- 38th Parallel
- Korea (North)--Foreign relations--United States
- Korea (North)--Foreign relations--Korea (South)
- Korea (North)--Foreign relations
- Hungary--Foreign relations--Korea (North)
- Japan--Foreign relations--Korea (North)
- General Association of Korean Residents in Japan
- Korea (North)--Foreign relations--Netherlands
- Red Cross. Korea (North)
- Red Cross. Korea (South)
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].