REPORT FROM A. GRECHKO AND TARASOV IN BERLIN TO N.A. BULGANIN, 12:00 A.M.CITATION SHARE DOWNLOAD
get citationCable reporting that "Berlin is calm", but "there are still some strikes and rallies within some plants in the German Democratic Republic.""Report from A. Grechko and Tarasov in Berlin to N.A. Bulganin, 12:00 a.m.," June 18, 1953, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, AGSh, f. 16, op. 3139, d. 155, ll. 26-27. Provided and translated by Viktor Gobarev. https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/113136
VIEW DOCUMENT IN
MAIN OPERATIONS ADMINISTRATION,
GENERAL STAFF OF THE SOVIET ARMY
Top Secret (Declassified)
To Comrade BULGANIN, N.A.
1. I am reporting on the situation on the territory of the German Democratic Republic and in the city of Berlin by 10:00 p.m. (Moscow time), on 18 June 1953.
1. Berlin is calm. The city's life is going on as usual.
2. There are still some strikes and rallies within some plants in the German Democratic Republic, namely in the following cities and towns: Goerlitz, Dresden, Eilenburg, Riesa, Borna, Magdeburg, Halberstadt, Stasfurt, Wernigerode, Ruedersdorf, Gross Doelln, Gera, Halle.
Some groups of Germans, altogether of up to 1,500 people, in Dresden at 6:40 p.m. made an attempt to organize a demonstration and go to the prison. Those groups of Germans were dispersed by the actions of a tank company and a battalion of machine-gunners of the Soviet forces.
The group of bandits in Halberstadt set a shop of the "Economic Association" on fire. A group of 450 people in Drewitz attempted to rob shops. Order in Halberstadt and Drewitz has been restored by the actions of the [Soviet] troops. The workers of some of the plants in Leipzig have started working.
It is calm in other regions of the German Democratic Republic.
3. The units of the Group [of the Soviet Occupation Forces in Germany] have continued to perform their duties along the sectoral borders in the city of Berlin and to patrol in the other cities and towns of the German Democratic Republic.
There is no change in the disposition of the units of the Group.
4. According to incomplete information, 544 people were arrested and detained, 2 provocateurs were killed, 27 rioters were wounded on 18 June. A policemen of the GDR and 9 activists were wounded.
"Correct." General of the Army SHTEMENKO
18 June 1953, 12.00 p.m. [midnight]