Search in

Digital Archive International History Declassified

August 01, 1953


This document was made possible with support from the Leon Levy Foundation

  • Citation

    get citation

    A truce agreement for Korea is signed in Panmunjeom.
    "Note from the Embassy of the Polish Republic in Korea about the Korean War Armistice," August 01, 1953, History and Public Policy Program Digital Archive, Polish Foreign Ministry Archive. Obtained for NKIDP by Jakub Poprocki and translated for NKIDP by Maya Latynski.
  • share document


English HTML

Pyongyang, 1 August 1953


of the Polish Republic

in Korea

SECRET [stamp]


No. 2421/52/53/TJN [tajne—secret]


On 27.VII.1953 at 10:00 local time, in Panmunjeom, a truce agreement for Korea was signed. This act was signed by the head of the Korean-Chinese delegation to the negotiations on a truce in Korea, Gen. Nam Il, and by the head of the delegation of the so-called UN armed forces, Gen. Harrison, and then it was sent to be signed by Marshal Kim Il Sung, who signed it in Pyongyang on 27 July 1953 at 22:00. On 28.VII.1953, the truce agreement was signed by the Commander of the units of the Chinese People’s Volunteers Peng Dehuai. The commander in chief of the so-called UN armed forces, Gen. Clark, also signed this agreement on 27.VII. of this year in Tokyo.

On 27.VII.1953 an order from Marshal Kim Il Sung and Gen. Peng Dehuai addressed to the units of the Korean People’s Army and the Chinese People’s Volunteers was announced, and it reads as follows:

1. The ground forces, the air force and the navy, as well as units of the defense of the coast, of the Korean People’s Army and the Chinese People’s Volunteers should carefully honor the agreement on a truce in Korea and cease fire on all sections of the front at 22:00 hours on 27 July 1953, i.e., within twelve hours after the signing of the truce agreement.

On all sections of the front, you must within 72 hours of the implementation of the truce agreement distance yourselves by 2 km. from the demarcation line which has already been announced by both sides, i.e., within 72 hours of 22:00 on 27 July 1953.

2. Ground forces, the air force, the navy and units of coastal defense of the Korean People’s Army and Chinese People’s Volunteers must guard their positions very vigilantly and eliminate any attempts at provocation from the other side.

3. The Koran Peoples’ Army and the Chinese People’s Volunteers should be favorably disposed toward the Military Commission which is acting to cease fire and the personnel of this Commission, the Commissions of neutral countries and personnel of these commissions, the personnel of the united units of the Red Cross, which will be present in the areas controlled by our armies in order to execute the truce agreement, and guarantee their security and demonstrate active assistance in their work.

According to the truce Agreement in Korea of 27 July 1953 at 22:00, military actions have stopped on the whole front line, which stretches 155 miles from east to west.

On 27 July 1953 at 22:00, for the first time in three years, street lamps, which had already been prepared during the war, were switched on. Light illumination was put on also in other towns and villages of the DPRK.

On 28 July 1953 at 12:00, a powerful demonstration of the population of the city of Pyongyang took place to honor the great victory of the Korean nation. Parade stands were placed in a huge square in the center of Pyongyang, which had been specially prepared for this. The Government and the Central Committee of the Korean Workers’ Party and generals of the Korean People’s Army, headed by Marshal Kim Il Sung, were on the central stand. An enormous rally, in which ca. 110 thou[sand] people participated, was opened by the Chairman of the People’s Committee of Pyongyang [Jeon Yeong-pyo]. Marshal Kim Il Sung appeared with a speech to the whole Korean nation relating to the signing of the truce in Korea (I am enclosing the text of Kim Il Sung’s speech).

After Kim Il Sung’s speech, which was received enthusiastically by the assembled population, the DPRK’s hymn was played, artillery salvos were heard and the ceremonious sound of the historical bell at the ancient Daedongmun Gate. A great demonstration of the population began, in which workers, peasants, working intelligentsia, student youth and schoolchildren from Pyongyang and the area took part. The demonstration lasted ca. 3 hours.

In the evening, after the demonstration, Pyongyang was brilliantly illuminated. At 21:00, 24 salvos were fired from 124 cannons, lighting the city with rockets and streams of fireworks. Artistic performances by professional and amateur artistic ensembles, including very many school ensembles, took place in all the streets of the city for 3 days. The mood among the population was very celebratory.

The demonstrations and rallies relating to the signing of the truce took place also in provincial centers and cities of the DPRK.

On 31 July 1953 at 22:00 in the evening a ceremonious reception took place at Marshal Kim Il Sung’s on the occasion of the signing of the truce. Members of the DPRK government, Central Committee of the KWP, the Chairman of the Presidium of the People’s Assembly of the DPRK Kim Du-bong [Kim Tu Bong], the Commander of the Chinese People’s Volunteers Gen. Peng Dehuai together with his staff and the heads of diplomatic posts accredited to the DPRK.

The reception ended at 2:00 in the morning.

3 copies made. E. Cerekwicki

[…] Charge d’Affaires a.i.

of the Embassy of the PRL [People’s Republic of Poland] in the DPRK